As we look ahead into week 6 of the college football season, we’re going to make some predictions for the 5 biggest games on the board. Enjoy!
Top 5 Games (Week 6):
5. #8 Auburn @ Mississippi State – After a decent start in 2018, the bulldogs find themselves in a situation where they have dropped their first 2 SEC games of the season (Florida and Kentucky). Unfortunately, they draw an extremely talented team again in nationally ranked Auburn (#8) this Saturday at 4:30pm PST. With both teams struggling to move the football on a consistent basis, look for turnovers and special teams plays to make a big impact in this game. Mississippi State is desperate for their first SEC win, while Auburn is still struggling to find some identity after their heartbreaking loss to LSU a couple of weeks ago. With that being said, look for the Bulldogs to pull off the upset at home this week with the help of some turnovers and a trick play or two. Miss. State 20, Auburn 17.
4. #13 Kentucky @ Texas A&M – On a neutral field, I might pick Kentucky this week. The problem is, Kentucky has only been on the road once this season (week 2) and finds themselves entering an extremely hostile environment for the first time in 3 weeks vs. a very battle tested team. Texas A&M has faced the two best teams in the country thus far and I see them taking care of business at home this Saturday vs. the Wildcats. I think Kentucky keeps it within striking distance for three quarters. Texas A&M 31, Kentucky 20.
3. #5 LSU @ #22 Florida – I know, I’ve picked three SEC matchup’s in a row. But this one is going to be really good. If you like defense, get ready for a slugfest in the swamp. While Florida has looked very impressive thus far, LSU cannot be rattled. The Tigers proved this a few weeks ago when they went in to Auburn’s house and took home a 22-21 victory. I love the swagger of this LSU team right now and I think ‘Coach O’ gets them hyped for another big game on the road. LSU 19, Florida 13.
2. #6 Notre Dame @ #24 Virginia Tech – This is by far the most interesting game of the week for me. I wouldn’t be shocked either way as it pertains to the outcome of this game. Virginia Tech has looked amazing at times (Opener vs. Florida State) and last weeks impressive victory over a tough Duke team. But, they have their moments (Loss to Old Dominion, 49-35). What Virginia Tech team is going to show up!? On the other side of the field, you have a very balanced, disciplined and consistent Fighting Irish team. As much as I’d love to go with the upset pick here, I think Notre Dame is playing at a more consistent level right now. Also, the Irish know that if they can just get past this week, it’s smoother waters from here on out. Notre Dame 35, Virginia Tech 24.
1. #19 Texas vs. #7 Oklahoma – The “Red River Rivalry” hasn’t had this much build up in a long time. College Gameday makes their way to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas this weekend to hype up an already highly anticipated matchup between the Longhorns and the Sooners. This is the kind of rivalry game where Texas usually does better when they are worse and have little to no expectations. This year, Texas finds themselves ranked with a tad bit of pressure to actually win this game. I see the Oklahoma defense forcing 3+ turnovers vs. a one-dimensional and sometimes sloppy Texas QB/Offense. In addition to that, Oklahoma is simply better in all aspects of the game. Offense, Defense and Special Teams all belong to OU and I can’t find a reason to roll with Texas. With that being said, I got the crimson and cream. Oklahoma 38, Texas 17.
Enjoy the weekend!